Saturday, October 20, 2007

With the help of my friendly neighborhood Erika, I've gotten all organized and stuff (well, okay, not really). The bare, bargain-basement bones of things are here for now. Yes, it looks like crap. Give me a break. I did it in ten minutes. This isn't an html editing project, it's a literature project. Dammit, Jim!

It's mostly just so I don't do boneheaded things like buying the same book twice or forgetting what the hell I've just written a review of. Because believe me, I will do those boneheaded things without supervision.

Related thoughts that I wrote on notecards as I worked on things today:

Male vs. female authors, preponderance of females; belies gender-specific tendencies or collective subconscious? Suspense/thriller versions mostly male, romances mostly female, discuss? No go, could be pen names, no way to tell actual gender of authors, epic fail.

Author influences: 80% Webber, 19% transference, 1% Leroux. Poor Leroux.

Tortured hero vs. fluff hero--Byronic influence? Original influences/references for Leroux, annotations or footnotes useful or need further materials? Catharsis = audience reaction = preference for Erik, i.e. tragedy with emotional redemption, vs. good feelings = no closure = audience coolness for Raoul, further fleshed out? Raoul = cardboard character, or just audience preference for extreme suffering as leading point to more impressive resolution?

Harass people for related media? Genres left out--theatre (non-musical), others? Input from other sources, any friends/readers got any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment