Friday, March 7, 2008

Hmm.  Now, this is interesting.

I'm hearing some scuttlebutt that the Julian/Chaney film that we've all seen may not, in fact, be the original.  According to sources (unconfirmed and on the internet, so take it all with a grain of salt, yeah?), the widely released version of the film is a recut and redited version of the 1929 "talkie" re-release.  The original silent movie from 1925 supposedly includes several more scenes, including the scene in the graveyard and some flashbacks to flesh out the relationship between Erik and Christine a little more.  I'm not entirely sure if this is true, but if it is... goddammit, I'll have to buy another DVD, won't I?  Like I don't have enough of them yet.

I know that Amazon is selling a collector's edition with two versions of the film, so I'll have to investigate.  If this is true, I'd be really interested to see how that changes the film's impact (and who can resist the chance to watch a carriage chase again?  Not me!).

No comments:

Post a Comment